Custard apple is known as a shrub or tropical branched tree which is native to the Amazon rainforest. This actually grows about three meters by up to eight meters in length. Its flowers are somewhat yellowish or greenish and its leaves are oblong and thin.
Moreover, it comes with a lumpy and purple skin; it is described as a conical type of fruit and tastes very sweet. It can be used for sherbets, ice creams and milkshakes or you may also eat it fresh. Meanwhile, the fruit is creamy white, quite juicy and appears like a huge raspberry. Custard apple is widely known as Sharifa in the land of India.
The custard apple tree is not sensitive and does not necessitate much care particularly if it is watered regularly and of course if it is provided with adequate light for it to grow. This tree has certainly adjusted to any type of soil and it grows fine, even in dry and hot climates. Once you have sowed the seeds, this will then bear fruits in about two up to three years. Its fruits are commonly round or conical in shape and will ripen for approximately three up to four months.
The Uses and Good Side of Custard Apple
1) The fruits can be used to formulate a hair tonic and this is actually done in some areas of India.
2) The finely grounded seeds can help get rid of lice and it can be applied to the hair. But, see to it that it does not come in contact with ice for this may greatly irritate the eyes and sooner or later may lead to blindness.
3) Its bark can be used to stop diarrhea in both adults and children. Further, the plant is quite effective in treating diabetes.
4) Custard apple is also efficient in treating burning sensation.
5) This plant definitely bears a few wonderful medicinal qualities such as abortifacient, antiovualtory and it may also serve as insecticide.
6) Aside from these, it can be used to produce sugar wine apple. It is also an ideal plant for indoors.
7) Its leaves, when crushed are mainly used to treat fearful state of mind which is referred to as hysteria as well as fainting spells.
8) Boiling the leaves to extract its essence and this is truly effective in treating wounds, ulcer, dysentery plus other diseases.
Delving into the Countless Benefits of Custard Apple:
What can you get from consuming custard apple or adding custard apple in your diet?
1) Custard apple is an ideal source of energy so it helps replenish one’s energy levels. This aids combat exhaustion and reduce muscle weakness.
2) The vitamin C found in custard apple helps in the development of collagen which is known as the protein that makes up the primary portion of our scalp and hair. Indeed, it is also a great hair moisturizer and remarkably aids in eliminating lice. Apart from these, it helps prevent hair fall and in point of fact, it improves blood circulation in the scalp and this leads to the stimulation of follicles in order to support hair growth.
3) Custard apple keeps the skin youthful and delay aging such as blemishes and age.
4) It serves as a natural remedy for scalp infections. Since custard apple contains antioxidants and vitamin C, it aids regulate the sebum production in the scalp which minimizes flaky skin and dandruff and this also helps reduce pimples and acne. It also prevents premature graying of hair and this only implies that it helps sustain the hair’s natural color.
5) It acts as a natural detoxifying agent since it is rich in antioxidants and soluble fiber which makes it an ideal laxative. When custard apple is regularly consumed, one will achieve glowing and healthier skin since it aids rid of waste and toxins.
6) Custard apple is ideal for treating indigestion. For a fact, it expels toxins from the intestine and this aids in proper functioning of the bowels. Furthermore, many other stomach-related disorders such as ulcer, acidity, gastritis and heartburn may be prevented if custard apple is consumed regularly.
7) Since custard apple is rich in vitamin C, it also helps to naturally heal various skin infections, heal cuts, abrasions and wounds and also to form ligaments, tendons and cartilage. Its latex when applied on the skin may effectively treat psoriasis, eczema and inflammation.
8) Since custard apple comes with antioxidants that balance the effects of free radicals, it is a powerful cancer buster. It is loaded with high amount of fiber that shields colon membrane through hampering toxic substance from the gut, minimizing the likelihood of colon and liver cancer. This beneficial fruit also wards off breast cancer.
9) This is also very beneficial for expecting moms as it helps them deal with morning sickness. In the same way, it combats food cravings, nausea, mood swings during conception as well as numbness. It is also a great alternative to milk. This only conveys that expecting women who are allergic to dairy products can have it as an alternative.
10) Since custard apple contains high levels of iron, it aids in lessening the symptoms of rosacea and increase blood circulation.
11) It helps eliminate the possibility of premature birth and minimizes the extent of labor pain in pregnant women and supports healthy pregnancy. For expecting and lactating women, this is also beneficial as it is believed to be efficient in increasing a woman’s milk production. When custard apple is consumed regularly, this will help in a baby’s brain development. Likewise, it also aids in the brain development of a fetus.
12) Due to the fact that custard apple considerably slows down the absorption of glucose in the body, this minimizes the likelihood of type 2 diabetes.
13) It helps combat gum pain and many other tooth-related complications.
14) It promotes cardiovascular health. Custard apple increases the good cholesterol in the body and significantly lowers bad cholesterol.
15) Since custard apple contains adequate amount of calcium, it aids normalize the body’s water balance and takes away the acids from the acids which eventually lessens the symptoms of arthritis and rheumatism.
16) This delicious fruit is actually an ideal dessert and snack for people who hope to put on some pounds. Custard apple stimulates appetite levels so more appetite means gaining weight.
17) It helps protect one from being afflicted by Parkinson’s disease. More than that, custard apple helps one to fight depression, tension, irritability and calm down stress.
18) It is a great cure for anemia, vitamin B6 deficiency, gout and frequent vomiting.
19) Loaded with vitamin C and riboflavin, custard apple fights free radical destruction; this wonder fruits absolutely helps maintain good eyesight.
20) Custard apple supports better immune system. As a matter of fact, it prowls toxic free radicals in the body, inhibiting the onset of many different diseases and ailments. It is advisable to include this fruit in your daily diet so to have a better defense against various infectious agents.
- To treat insect bites, the juice of unripe custard apple may be used.
- Custard apple leaves decoction supports healthy blood flow at the time of menstruation in women.
- A paste formulated from custard apple leaves does not just help treat the wounds but this also aids destroy the worms infested around the cut, abrasion or wound.
- Breathing in the crushed custard apple leaves will definitely aid ward off dizziness and fainting spells. All you have to do is to put a few drops of this mixture in the nose and this will surely make an unconscious person to be conscious again.
- You may consider adding the mixture of custard apple leaves to your bath water to ease rheumatic pains.
- The mixture may also be used to bring relief to fever, cold and dysentery.
Side Effects of Custard Apples
- The seeds are regarded as poisonous so it is prohibited to consume it.
- This type of fruit is quite cold in nature. Due to this, it is not advised to consume it in great amounts since it can make a person ill.
- Because custard apples are creamy, fleshy and contain much sugar, people with diabetes are advised not to consume much of this fruit.
Caution when using Custard Apple
- Ants can absolutely create some problems for the fruit through producing gritty bugs on it.
- Custard apple stays disease-free most of the time, but, it is prone to wilt and fungus.
- Its roots are very powerful and this may cause abortions so it highly advised for moms-to-be to take extra care while consuming the herb.
Salsify is the term given to some various plants in two varied genera wherein both belong to the sunflower family known as the Asteraceae. Moreover, the more common and renowned variety is termed as Spanish salsify or black salsify which comes with the scientific name of Scorzonera hispanica.
For a fact, this is mainly grown as a root vegetable and has black, long and tapered root which is at times one meter in length and this is described as having huge leaves above the ground. The root’s black skin is commonly cut out before preparation while the plump interior of the root is considered as the edible portion.
This type of vegetable is actually native to the Middle East and Southern Europe; however, its real point of origin is perceived to be in Spain. This is barely found outside Europe and also in the United Kingdom since the growing conditions in these places are not ideal. But, this remains very famous in Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and other southern and central European countries.
Some of the many health benefits of salsify comprise of its capability to boost the immune system, increase circulation, lower blood pressure, increase metabolism, stimulate hair growth, improve various elements of the digestive health and finally to firmly affect bone mineral density.
Black salsify can be consumed as a normal veggie and is largely complementary to carrots and peas and typically after boiling and discarding the skin. This type of vegetable is a well-known alternative to asparagus and it can also be prepared in several other types of dishes in a similar technique such as the béchamel sauces that have cauliflower and broccoli.
In the event that you prefer to boil the roots, you may consider deep frying them just like with vegetable tempura. The reason why black salsify is quite essential is that it is filled with beneficial components and nutrients, which is a certified promoter of human wellness.
Other Names of Salsify
- black oyster plant
- scorzonera hispanica (lat)
- spanish salsify
- čierny koreň (sk)
- black salsify
- garten-schwarzwurzel (de)
- serpent root
- hadí mord španělský (cz)
- viper’s herb
- spanische schwarzwurzel (de)
- černý kořen (cz)
- viper’s grass
- echte schwarzwurzel (de)
The delighting news is that the application of salsify is quite universal. This can certainly be consumed raw. It can actually be prepared and served as a fresh salad with sour cream, carrots, yogurt and apples. Salsify can also be utilized just how cauliflower and asparagus are used in various recipes and it can also be fried like choking or steak. Apart from these, salsify can also be utilized together with other kinds of fish and meat.
Exploring on the Nutritional Value of Salsify
Salsify is in point of fact an authentic and valuable discovery that is rich in nutrients. It comes with considerable portions of manganese, potassium, thiamine, iron, ascorbic acid, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin B6, pantothenic acid, folate, inulin, riboflavin, protein and dietary fiber.
Nutritional Information of Salsify:
Salsify is a great source of riboflavin, vitamin C, potassium, fiber as well as vitamin B-6.
What to look for when buying salsify?
- Pick tapered, firm roots that have white or black skin. Salsify comes with a mild flavor which is identical to asparagus, artichoke hearts and oysters.
Storage and Preparation of Salsify
- It is imperative to wrap the salsify in plastic and see to it to store it for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. Prior using, discard the thin skin and its tops.
- Experts recommend steaming salsify instead of boiling it in order to retain its firmness.
Best Uses of Salsify
It is advisable to boil it for about ten up to fifteen minutes in salted water. Use in stews or you may also mash it plain. Then, you may season it with pepper, parsley and chives.
What makes black salsify root nutritious?
Salsify is rich in nutrients and antioxidants, which are really good stuff for the body.
Some of the essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals found in salsify root include:
- Vitamin C
- B-complex vitamins
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
What are the Health Benefits of Salsify?
- Salsify is an immune system booster. The combination of fundamental levels of minerals, vitamins and Vitamin C greatly enhance functionality and metabolic efficiency all through the body. Vitamin A works as an antioxidant, Vitamin C significantly aids in stimulating white blood cells and the B-family vitamins vary from augmenting enzymatic functions in order to regulate hormones. It has different scope of nutrients which nearly each organ system is to some extent affected, this means that the body is functioning excellently.
- Lower Blood Pressure. The low level of sodium and high content of potassium implies that salsify can remarkably improve blood pressure complications through minimizing the strain on the cardiovascular system, soothing the blood vessels and inhibiting the likelihood of heart attacks, strokes and blood clots. It matters to understand that potassium is deemed as a very vital factor for boosting the cognitive ability which is perhaps made possible through maximized blood flow to the brain which Vasolidation can spur and this also helps in building stronger bones.
- Salsify stimulates the good bacteria. Its root is regarded as one of the ideal and natural sources of prebiotic fiber known as inulin. This aids improve the production of beneficial gut flora particularly bifidobacteria which is mainly found in the large intestine. It makes sense to know that a balance of good gut flora has been associated to better digestion, brain health and better digestion. In the same way, it aids clear away carcinogen from the body.
- Better circulation and hair growth. High levels of copper and iron contained in salsify convey that one’s circulation will enhance since copper and iron are both fundamental for the formation of red blood cells. More red blood cells imply more oxygenation to vital organs and tissues such as follicle beds. This has been revealed to stimulate hair regrowth. Likewise, copper has been associated to a decrease in premature aging and an increase in hair strength.
- Central Nervous System health. The great amount of thiamine contained in black salsify root is very critical to the central nervous system and muscles. This helps in stimulating the body to create hydrochloric acid which is very valuable for gut bacteria balance.
- Digestive health. A serving of salsify compose of almost 20% of one’s daily recommended amount of dietary fiber which is important for stimulating the passage of food all through the body; averting more serious conditions such as gastric ulcer; easing bowel discomfort as well as in reducing constipation. In addition, much of the fiber comes in the form of inulin and this is believed as comparably precious prebiotic fiber which maximizes the growth of bifidobacteria in the gut. This can actually lessen the cancer-causing agents, provide a boost to the immune system and optimize the efficiency of nutrient absorption.
- Anti-aging ability. The skin ages when the body ceases producing adequate collagen to newly grown skin cells. Furthermore, collagen production decreases as a person ages and the process necessitates vitamin C. Meanwhile, iron absorption is also reliant on this vitamin.
- High levels of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, manganese and copper create a strong mineral base for developing bone tissue. This plays pivotal role in the process of bone creation. With adequate bone mineral density, a person can impede the development of usual age-related conditions such as arthritis and osteoporosis which can take place when bones start to deteriorate and collagen (connective tissue) does not sustain the integrity of the joints.
- Heart health. The necessary levels of potassium are crucial to promote heart health. Potassium keeps the muscle functioning more efficiently. Potassium deficiency was also discovered to be a strengthening element in osteoporosis and bone weakness.
A Very Important Reminder
Take into consideration that before processing, it is highly advised to cut out the salsify’s black skin first. Then, after scraping it, it is necessary to soak it in oxygenated water in order to prevent it from getting brown.
Since salsify is naturally low in calories, it is definitely beneficial and good to the body. Aside from these, it is also delish reason why you can’t go wrong when you decide to include it in your regular nutrition plan. Surely, both kids and adult will love its distinct and appetizing taste.
Who doesn’t enjoy a tasty and miraculous fruit any time of the year? The velvet apple, also known as Mabolo, is a delicious medium size fruit, often grown on trees native to the Philippines and evergreen forests. In case you didn’t know, such trees produce beautiful velvety reddish orange fruits that have the same shape of an apple, with one remarkable difference: similar to peaches, velvet apples are covered with a velvet-like skin.
Within health benefits of velvet apple, it is of utmost importance to mention that this fruit is considered graceful from a dietary and nutritional perspective. Its pulp makes it refreshing, very aromatic and sweet, slightly tart, reminiscent of a tropical blend of pineapple and banana or pear flavor.
What really is velvet apple?
So, what is velvet apple? If we were to briefly describe it, velvet apple is an edible fruit with a characteristic rounded shape. It specifically has a reddish or yellowish orange color, depending on the ripeness of the fruit. Inside, it contains seeds and its flavor is slightly acidic, which lives up to its name, which gives it a special feature that makes this fruit apart from the rest.
Health benefits of velvet apple
From health benefits of velvet apple point of view, velvet apples contain 75% water and its great amount of carbohydrates and potassium is a highly recommended for athletes fruit, and making it a natural energizer and helps muscle contraction and to prevent cramps.
Its fiber content gives laxative properties. As you may know, fiber prevents or improves constipation, helps reduce blood cholesterol rates and control blood glucose (blood sugar levels). The velvet apple also provides Niacin or Vitamin B3. Niacin lowers bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol. It even reduces the risks of heart attacks.
Velvet apple properties
As this fruit is a source of vitamin A and C, it has an antioxidant effect, an important ally in maintaining youth and beauty. For its low sodium, potassium wealth and little fat it is advisable for those who suffer from hypertension or cardiac disorders or blood vessels. Likewise, also reduces cholesterol levels.
Furthermore, within the many health benefits of velvet apple, the velvet apple contains phosphorus, which is necessary for bone and tooth formation. Phosphorus improves our mental capacity to help our neurons communicate with each other. Moreover, it has a tonic action thus preventing decay and fatigue, avoiding depressions.
As if it was not enough, it produces a balancing action to the nervous system, so it can be used as an anxiolytic and calming alternative.
Consuming velvet apple
How to consume velvet apples? To consume the velvet apple, keep in mind the below points:
- Remove all the seeds and pulp peel your skin.
- Be careful not to consume the seeds because they are toxic and can harm your health.
- Eat it in fruit salads, smoothies also to them that you can add more nutritional value if you include protein powders.
- It is also delicious with yogurt or to eat alone.
Recipe: Mousse velvet apple
- 1 kg of velvet apples
- 2 envelopes of gelatin
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups warm water
- Chill the cream almost to the freezing point.
- Cut velvet apples in half, remove the flesh with a spoon and pass through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Cut into small pieces and reserve.
- Put the gelatine to soak in water and whip the cream until smooth.
- Mix the custard apple pulp outflanking, add gelatin and mix well.
- Grease the molds with butter or oil and pour the mixture into them.
- Leave in the freezer for an hour.
- Mix custard apple juice with the sugar and simmer for 15 minutes until a syrup.
- Let cool before using.
- Unmold onto a plate.
Overall, this fruit is an important source of vitamins, it is therefore necessary that we include it in our daily diet. This time of year is we have countless fruits at our disposal. For this reason, and to expand the range of possibilities available to us consider this delicious and nutritious fruit.
Like any good fruit, velvet apples contain high amounts of water in its composition. This feature makes it very low in calories, so it is advisable for people who are pursuing a diet or weight maintenance. Another point to consider is their low protein and carbohydrate, and making it one of the fruits that contain less sugar in its composition.
Wrapping it up, its supply of vitamin C will help to strengthen the immune system, assist with collagen production increase, and protect cells from attack produced by external agents. To this, we must add its mineral content.